incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion on new l10n workflow
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:06:23 GMT
On 16/10/2012 jan iversen wrote:
> Finally I have finished describing the current process, and also combining
> all the notes on open issues I could find.
> Please have a look at:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:L10proc.pdf
> and
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO

Thanks, this is a great contribution. A few quick comments on the contents:

- It's good to reduce the number of files. Keep in mind, though, that in
bigger teams the most convenient way to split work is by working on
separate files. If we manage to have about 20 files total this should be
OK for all teams.

- I wouldn't create UI and Help as two Pootle projects: it's very
important that UI and Help translations are consistent. I understand,
though, that some team will only translate the UI, so maybe it would be
possible to have two different projects, so long as a volunteer can
decide to work on Calc and easily identify Calc-relevant new strings in
both projects.

- PO vs XLIFF is a very old discussion... PO is simple and text-based.
It has limitations but it's very easy to work with, and in this phase I
would privilege a low entry barrier.

Regards,
   Andrea.