incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] defining roles for management, coordination, work items...
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:06:47 GMT

On 10/16/2012 02:47 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [top posting -- old discussion/business]
>>
>> I just created a little wiki schematic page based on this discussion at:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Management+Roles
>>
>> which will make it easy for us to add roles, people to roles, etc.
>> [The second column, intended for actual names, is blank so far.]
>>

> I'm not really sure what problem we're solving here.

Better defining activities that we do/need to do.
Hopefully soliciting/inviting individuals to take ownership of some of
these activities.

> For example, if person X is assigned role Y, I assume we don't want to
> encourage people to contact person X directly for questions or
> assistance.  We should do our work on ooo-dev.
>
> I assume we also want to avoid the type of hard-coded roles that
> existed with OOo, where the names, personal email addresses and even
> phone numbers of community manages, press contacts, etc., were on
> hundreds of web pages.

Well these are good points actually.

Yes, we should absolutely continue discussions on ooo-dev. I was
thinking of putting in names for the roles. The "roles" are not "hard"
as you suggest here. We don't hire people and they don't have "official"
positions. Maybe more of a way of providing information both to the
outside and (P)PMC.

> I suggest keeping this light-weight, non-exclusive, open to all who
> are interested, etc.

No problem with that of course. PLEASE self-sign up! This is encouraged!
I was tempted to assign Juergen permanent "release manager" but thought
better of it. :}

  So more like "areas of interest" or "contact
> point" rather than hard-coded roles.

Well, OK. Still I think explicitly  defining roles is good for the
project in some ways. It will show us what types of activities "someone"
needs to take ownership of.

   Remember, people do go on
> vacation, volunteers come and go, real life intervenes.  So we cannot
> "assign" someone a role in the same way we can an employee.

Exactly, we need overlap!

>> Rob referenced the following page as part of this thread:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/ppmc-faqs.html#status
>>
>> Which probably needs updating or ???? Of course, this is one of the items
>> that needs to go in the "Graduation checklist" just started today as well.
>>

> Note this page as well, which goes in the other direction, mapping
> person to area:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>
> It would suck if we had to track the same information in both places.
> Maybe there is a way we can track this in one place?
>
> Maybe add a "role" column to the "people" page?  I dunno.

A good idea as well. We could discuss this...I had actually forgotten
all about the "people" page :/. Should we keep using it?

> -Rob

>>> If someone decides to create a new page for this they should be sure
>>> to delete the existing page I created to track admins and moderators:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/ppmc-faqs.html#moderator
>>>
>>> (or we could just update that page)
>>>
>>> Rob

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
>>   dealt with a cat."
>>                                 -- Robert Heinlein

MzK

  dealt with a cat."