incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:35:25 GMT
Am 10/15/2012 09:13 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 12/10/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
>>> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is
>>> unmaintained, I
>>> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.
>>
>> I finally ended up setting a new project page:
>> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
>> It wouldn't be fair to take the current page
>
> Actually, I feel it would be fair to take it! If the extension is
> unmaintained (meaning that the user who was maintaining it does no
> longer have an account on the Extensions site) then it is confusing to
> users to have the unmaintained version and your patched one available.

Sorry that I haven't reported this earlier.

I remember that I've maintained this webpage. Of course not as the
developer but as (kind of) liaison officer between OOo community and
Sun/Oracle. And yes, I don't have access to it anymore, so I cannot
change it myself.

I agree with Andrea that it's better to continue the already (and wrt
the stats very popular!) webpage than to have two with the same purpose.

> It occurred already a couple times that I had to explicitly point users
> to your patched version and that they solved their problems with it. So
> it surely deserves better exposure.
>
>> Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050
>
> If you don't host your version on extensions.openoffice.org, it will
> always be shadowed by this (buggy) one, because downloads won't be tracked.
>
> So, seeing this as a user, the best solutions I can imagine are:
>
> 1) Take over http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector
> ; old releases are archived, available and credited appropriately;
> nothing new will happen there since no users can update the page.

+1

> 2) Keep both projects, but state clearly on the older one that it is
> abandoned and that bugfixes and 3.4.x compatibility can be obtained in
> your version, and link to it. In this case, it would help if you hosted
> the packages on extensions.openoffice.org so that it can be shown in the
> "most popular" listing and gradually shadow the old one.
>
> But at the very least we should agree on a replacement text for the 3.4
> compatibility notice at
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector and get it
> replaced.

Marcus