incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:13:56 GMT
On 12/10/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
>> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is unmaintained, I
>> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.
>
> I finally ended up setting a new project page:
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
> It wouldn't be fair to take the current page

Actually, I feel it would be fair to take it! If the extension is
unmaintained (meaning that the user who was maintaining it does no
longer have an account on the Extensions site) then it is confusing to
users to have the unmaintained version and your patched one available.

It occurred already a couple times that I had to explicitly point users
to your patched version and that they solved their problems with it. So
it surely deserves better exposure.

> Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050

If you don't host your version on extensions.openoffice.org, it will
always be shadowed by this (buggy) one, because downloads won't be tracked.

So, seeing this as a user, the best solutions I can imagine are:

1) Take over http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector
; old releases are archived, available and credited appropriately;
nothing new will happen there since no users can update the page.

2) Keep both projects, but state clearly on the older one that it is
abandoned and that bugfixes and 3.4.x compatibility can be obtained in
your version, and link to it. In this case, it would help if you hosted
the packages on extensions.openoffice.org so that it can be shown in the
"most popular" listing and gradually shadow the old one.

But at the very least we should agree on a replacement text for the 3.4
compatibility notice at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector and get it
replaced.

Regards,