incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Support questions to ooo-private?
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:42:48 GMT
Am 10/15/2012 02:23 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> I know there was a mystery why we were getting a few questions/week to
> ooo-private.   I think I found a clue.
>
> Start from the bug tracking page, our BZ instance:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/
>
> Note the language at the bottom "In case of problems with the
> functioning of Apache OOo Bugzilla...".  Average user doesn't know
> Bugzilla from their elbow.  They see "problem" and "Apache" and send a
> note.
>
> The get an auto-response that says:
>
> "Thank you for contacting The Apache Software Foundation OpenOffice Bugzilla
> Administrators.
>
> - If your concern is a bug in the OpenOffice software, please re-send your
>    question to the ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list, or look
>    for an answer on the user forums at http://user.services.openoffice.org/.
>
>   - For confidential matters ONLY, you may follow-up to the privately-archived
>    ooo-private@incubator.apache.org  mailing list.  Normal bug reports are not
>    confidential and should be directed to ooo-users@incubator.apache.org."

IMHO the "confidential", "only", "private" etc. wording should be
deleted resp. replaced with a "ooo-dev@" fitting formulation.

> Does the user want private/confidential help?  Of course they do.
> Identity theft, spam, etc.  Who wouldn't want this?
>
> IMHO, there is no good reason to mention ooo-private in the context of
> support.  This will only draw a percentage of users to send support
> questions to the private list.  In the very rare case where there is a
> security-related issue, where confidentiality is warranted,  the user
> would be clueful enough to find the security page on the website and
> submit the report that way.

When there is a case that private mails are necessary then we should
treat the user individually. That's much better than to point all users
generlly to our private ML.

So, +1 for changing this.

Marcus