incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Developer Room (devroom) at FOSDEM
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:52:46 GMT
Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 2012-10-11, at 24:24 , Rob Weir wrote:
>> OK.  So we've said that we're happy to share a devroom.  This is
>> good. Are we still waiting to hear from LO?

Yes; apparently LibreOffice had not thought about this, even though it
was clearly written in the guidelines that organizers would have asked
to merge similar devrooms. So we'll need to wait. The organizers set
Saturday as a deadline.

> I'm in Paris now and will likely be either meeting with or dodging
> (or both) LO entities.
> I can ask. They may now know, however, as I would guess the relevant
> LO person is Meeks? or Thorsten?

Actually, at the moment we are waiting for a "yes" or "no" from
LibreOffice, and I don't know how many people are involved in the
decision and who (I didn't see anything on the LibreOffice developers
list, but it could be the wrong place). If it's a "yes", then we will
definitely have to talk, and your availability is very welcome.

>> If we do share, what does that mean?  We develop a joint-program
>> of presentations?   This isn't as bad as it sounds.  Since Fosdem
>> is more developer-oriented

Exactly, FOSDEM is technical and we have a lot of opportunities for a
joint program. But again, the algorithm is: OpenOffice said yes;
LibreOffice says yes -> Organizers are happy and we discuss all
practicalities; LibreOffice says no -> Organizers are not happy and they
will take decisions and notify us of the outcome (two rooms, one shared
room, one room but fully dedicated to one project, zero rooms).

> Marketing can be relevant but this is about development.

Sure. And development can include many topics in OpenOffice: core, build
system, extensions, dictionaries, localization, automated testing,
formats, interoperability... Plenty of possible presentations.

>> Would it be worth asking Calligra, Gnumeric and Abi as well?  Or
>> would they be focused on KDE/GNOME devrooms?

FOSDEM organizers wrote that applications are confidential, so I don't
know if these projects submitted an application, but I assume they
didn't, otherwise they would have been asked to join the "ODF Offices"
devroom, as organizers called it. But we can surely consider to reach
out to them too once we have more details: FOSDEM is huge and it's
possible that people from those projects are already going to attend anyway.

>>> PS. On the practical side, we can host a 'neutral' devroom
>>> mailinglist for talk submission and discussion on our server.

This note is from the organizers, and it might be a possibility if we
wish to have a completely shared room (i.e., not a "federated" one where
each presentation is clearly specific of a project). Again, this is
premature until we know that OpenOffice and LibreOffice agree on sharing
a devroom.

Regards,
   Andrea.