incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation patches
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:18:19 GMT
On 09/10/2012 Andre Fischer wrote:
> In the last days I looked into how to create installation patches for
> updating AOO. Using patches instead of full installation packages would
> lead to smaller files to distribute for updating AOO on the next release.

This is really great news! A lot of users would prefer to have smaller,
incremental updates available. And when you are ready for testers to
jump in, just ask.

> Note that I have
> concentrated on the Windows platform for the time being.
> [1] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Building_installation_packages

It's a pity that all the technology is OS-specific here. But, as Pedro
wrote, covering Windows would already be a big step forward. And
Linux-based systems will hopefully offer OpenOffice from their
repositories again (or at least this is something we would definitely
try upon graduation) so the need for incremental updates is not so big
there. Mac users, on the contrary, would probably like to have it but
are fewer than the Windows users. So it's OK to do this for Windows,
then think about Mac, then about Linux-based systems unless existing
technologies like DeltaRPM already offer a reduced download size.

Regards,
   Andrea.