incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Installation patches
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:10:00 GMT
Hi,

In the last days I looked into how to create installation patches for
updating AOO.  Using patches instead of full installation packages would
lead to smaller files to distribute for updating AOO on the next release.

I have created a new Wiki page for my findings.  Please see [1] for an
overview and the details of how to create patch files.  Note that I have
concentrated on the Windows platform for the time being.

My results for the impatient:

1. I have written a Perl script with which I have created a Windows
Installer MSP patch file that updates an installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4
to 3.4.1.  Its size is roughly a tenth of the full installation
package.  There are some minor problems, like the about box still
displaying 3.4 as current version in the first line.  The second line is OK.

2. There is already some support for the creation of patch files in the
make_installer.pl script but this functionality is inactive.  It is not
triggered by the makefile in module instsetoo_native/ and therefore I
can not say whether it would still work.

[1] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Building_installation_packages

Best regards,
Andre