incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 07:04:46 GMT
On 10/9/12 8:35 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>>> The proposed PMC chair is not an officer of the PPMC.  The PPMC has no chair.
>>>
>>> I suppose the updated graduation resolution would need to be balloted here.
Then the IPMC can vote on it on their list for graduation.

>>> Also, all of the things that a PPMC is supposed to have been done need to be
checked off somewhere - on the podling status page, I expect.

>>> Meanwhile ...
>>>

>>> Different question.
>>>
>>> I nose around in the Symphony code from time to time and I notice there is no
reflection of the grant and availability under ALv2 has occurred.

>> We were notified that the grant was received.
>>
>>> Is it expected that something be done about that?  There are files that are
>>>
>>>  - still under Sun LGPL license,
>>>  - some that add an IBM License and copyright under private license
>>>  - some that claim an IBM Copyright and provide no license whatsoever,
>>>    although there is a notice concerning government use
>>>

>> Yes, this needs to be cleaned up before any of this is part of a
>> release.  But it is not a graduation issue.  Remember, an SGA may come
>> from anywhere, at any time, before graduation or after graduation.
>> This is blessing, not a problem.  But the code does need to be
>> reviewed and brought in line with policy before it can be part of a
>> release.
>
> It is still work that ought to be done sooner rather than later. And the header work
should be done by someone from IBM. Who might that be?

> Whoever it is should be doing it already. There is no excuse to delay.

no excuse of course but many other work we have to do and I really would
like to ask if we have the resources to do that work now. The goal of
this grant now is to use parts of the code and merge it in our main
source trunk that we use to build our releases. It can be seen more as a
backup storage where we take bugfixes from that are already fixed there
or where we take feature implementation from. We don't have any plans to
release something based on this code.

> BTW - Large software grants go through the incubator. TLPs do this. [1]
>
> I think that not clearing the Symphony grant might be a graduation problem for some on
the IPMC. It will certainly be discussed.

well I hope not and people will hopefully think carefully about this.
The code is not released and not used yet, only for backup. And when we
use parts of it it will be merged in our main trunk.

Juergen