incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice SVG vector graphics
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 09:03:01 GMT
	Hi Ian,

On 07.10.2012 00:10, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On 6 October 2012 22:23, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/6/12, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I think the OP is asking about printed forms, as on a bumper sticker.
>>   Since
>>> they are presumably enlarged, the provision of trademark information in
>>> small but readable type at/around the margin would probably work.
>>
>> Well this would be confusing in itself, doesnt it already has a printed TM?
>>

> One thing that immediately springs to mind is that Inkscape is getting used
> for these drawings in preference to AOO Draw because it supports svg.  If
> we are serious about a drawing component to AOO and to open standards we
> must have a strategy to fully support svg. This has been an on-going issue
> since the start of OOo but it is getting more and more urgent as time goes
> on. Armin has done some great work, no doubt about it but we really need to
> take it further. I only wish I had the know how.

It would be nice to fully support it, but don't forget that we need
these things as OLE, MS-compatible CustomShapes and more stuff not
supported by SVG, so there is no way to get a pure SVG editor from
Draw/Impress.
We already have the good import (which creates an imported graphic
containing the SVG) and a medium-quality export. Currently to do more
than transformaing the SVG you need to 'break' it to draw objects
(convert to our internal ODF data).
The easiest way to support this with more deph would be to go into a
'Svg'-mode when a SVG graphic is selected (comparable from the theory to
go to a bitmap editor UI when selecting a bitmap graphic).
Both would lead to writing new programs with new UI for these cases, a
long lasting task to do, but possible. Woulöd also be nice for bitmap
graphics, though. The quesion is if this would not already overburden
our normal target users...
A good and logic way forward would be to write a SVG2.0 export, that
could be used for playing presentations without AOO at all. Any
volunteers...?

Sincerely,
	Armin