incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which See Gull is Our Logo?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:42:29 GMT

On 10/04/2012 11:51 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On 10/4/12, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Here is a comparison of original Orb taken from Stella's site compared
>>> to my version of SVG.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately it was very hard to recreate everything, the shadows and
>>> also counter glow on the lower part of the sphere are not identical
>>> and also some color gradiance might be slightly unsaturazied.
>>>
>>> http://imagebin.org/230878
>>>
>>> Still Gulls are the right size and maybe some node cleanups might be
>>> necesary but proportions are correct.
>>>

>> Alexandro --
>>
>> Well  a very good effort!  I saw we had
>>
>>   http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/orb.jpg
>>
>> and moved it to AOO_logos.
>>
>> I will see what else I can find when I get a moment...either on the
>> MediaWiki or elsewhere. This IS the orb used in our current logo,
>> though...the one imacat asked about.
>
> I understand, however this is a rasterized image and hard to adapt to
> any size proportion, I am trying to get either a 99% exact copy on SVG
> so that we could get this on native XML/SVG/Canvas source and start
> documenting the guidelines for creating the 'orb'.
>
> At the same time, this is a bit uncertain since other conversations
> are about pushing for a new logo which could potentially make this
> work irrelevant. I will keep working on the orb I provided, and see if
> I can get a generalize approval from the community.

Well, it seems a new logo will be postponed for now. I think there is
some opinion that it should wait until a new major release.

So, I would suggest to continue your efforts at reproducing the orb.

> At the moment the only real documentation is on the OpenOffice.org
> brand refresh, and even if there has been a new logo(Incubator), it
> was somewhat mounted on the original Oracle brand refresh (color
> palette and such). There is also not much documentation on the
> application and mime-type guidelines design, or unified ODF.
>
> I also wonder which is the name of the typeface of the "Apache
> OpenOffice" and if there any native SVG. The one I found was just a
> Jpg wrapped inside an SVG file, no vectors/nodes/etc.

Yes, I'm afraid we are lacking in technicalities with some our graphics.
I don't know what else I can say about this. It's coem up before.

>>> --
>>> Alexandro Colorado
>>> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
>>> http://es.openoffice.org
>>>

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never
>>   dealt  with a cat."
>>                                                  -- Robert Heinlein

MzK

  dealt with a cat."