incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [BUILD] downloading of resources during bootstrap
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 18:42:10 GMT

On 10/2/2012 10:18 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Andrew;
>
> We agreed to completely drop the Category- B tarballs from SVN before graduation. We
> haven't really done it yet but additionaly removing the Category-A was planned in
> order to comply with infra's policy.
The removal of the tarballs from svn is an important project, and I am
not suggesting going back or anything.
That said, the change has caused instability in the build.   In
addition, I am having problems with this process
in two separate places, so I think this represents an issue with the build.

> When updating components I have, in general, stopped uploading the src tarballs to SVN
> in favor of distributing them though ooo-extras @apache-extras: (not all are used)
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list
I like this.  This should continue.

> The build scripts are ready for it but it seems like the buildbot doesn't like fetching
more
> stuff (?).
I think the build scripts might need further refinement in this area.
> Can we have the buildbot cache those files?
I am very wary of this type of approach.  I see the buildbots as the
proverbial 'canary in the coal mine' and it is better to fix the build
than to have the buildbots work around the problem.   I understand that
we have a very complex and delicate build, but we need to know when we
have made things worse, and I am afraid this is one of those times
(location of the tarballs is greatly improved, but at the cost of the
download of tarballs being destabilized)

I'm mucking around with adding $agent->env_proxy; to download_ext_dep.pl
so that it punches through a proxy when present.  Hopefully this will go
part of the way toward fixing the issues.  (also - do agree that reload
of perl on linux32 may solve issues there)

A.

> Pedro.

boost (and dmake) not downloading successfully.
>> This changed when we moved the resources out of svn (???).  What has changed ? and
what speciffically is used to download the resources now?