incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Did we ever reach consensus on support for Windows 2000
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 22:36:12 GMT
Am 10/01/2012 11:53 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 10/01/2012 01:46 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> Am 10/01/2012 01:32 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>> A response to this thread in general.
>>>
>>> Why has no action been taken on this yet?
>>>
>>> I'm not trying to blame or accuse anyone, but I would like to figure
>>> out why nothing has happened here yet. This is one example of several
>>> where issues seem to be discussed at length, but nothing ever happens.
>>>
>>> 1) Does someone want to fix this but does not feel empowered to do so?
>>> For example, is someone uncertain whether there is consensus, or is
>>> concerned that if they do act that someone won't like it?
>>>
>>> 2) Does someone want to fix this but does not know how to do this from
>>> a technical perspective, i.e., how to use the Apache CMS?
>>>
>>> 3) Does someone want to fix this but does not think that they have
>>> sufficient permissions to do this?
>>
>> 4) Is there a (urgent) need to do the changes now or do we want to wait
>> for the next release to give a little sentence in the announcement?
>>
>> Hm, I thought we wanted to wait. But I could be wrong.
>>
>> Marcus
>
> ditto Marcus...we just need to make sure this doesn't slip through the
> cracks as it were.
>
> I'll tag this for a future "to do" unless someone else makes these
> changes to the System Requirements and Installation areas.

Good. I've also put this as kind of todo on the Wiki page for the AOO
3.5 release planning:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.5+Release+Planning

> A few last words on "support". Despite the fact that Win 2000 accounts
> for such a small portion of our downloads, this will not stop folks
> using Windows 2000 to ask for support I would imagine. So, yes, we need
> to change the System Requirements and Installation instructions, but
> keep in mind that it's likely these folks will still be around on older
> OSes needing "support".

I'm sure it will stop over the time. E.g., I haven't seen any
requests/questions since, hm I don't know, about "how to use OpenOffice
on Win 98 / Win NT / Win ME?".

So, let's see :-)

Marcus