incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: Did we ever reach consensus on support for Windows 2000
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 21:53:09 GMT

On 10/01/2012 01:46 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 10/01/2012 01:32 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> A response to this thread in general.
>> Why has no action been taken on this yet?
>> I'm not trying to blame or accuse anyone, but I would like to figure
>> out why nothing has happened here yet.  This is one example of several
>> where issues seem to be discussed at length, but nothing ever happens.
>> 1) Does someone want to fix this but does not feel empowered to do so?
>>   For example, is someone uncertain whether there is consensus, or is
>> concerned that if they do act that someone won't like it?
>> 2) Does someone want to fix this but does not know how to do this from
>> a technical perspective, i.e., how to use the Apache CMS?
>> 3) Does someone want to fix this but does not think that they have
>> sufficient permissions to do this?
> 4) Is there a (urgent) need to do the changes now or do we want to wait
> for the next release to give a little sentence in the announcement?
> Hm, I thought we wanted to wait. But I could be wrong.
> Marcus

ditto Marcus...we just need to make sure this doesn't slip through the
cracks as it were.

I'll tag this for a future "to do" unless someone else makes these
changes to the System Requirements and Installation areas.

A few last words on "support". Despite the fact that Win 2000 accounts
for such a small portion of our downloads, this will not stop folks
using Windows 2000 to ask for support I would imagine. So, yes, we need
to change the System Requirements and Installation instructions, but
keep in mind that it's likely these folks will still be around on older
OSes needing "support".

>> If someone wants to fix the website, but feels blocked by one of the
>> above, please speak up, either on the list, or privately.  IMHO none
>> of the above should be an issue.  We have techniques like "lazy
>> consensus" that can be used to see whether there is objection to a
>> given way forward.  And the Apache CMS is open for everyone to use,
>> whether or not you are a committer.
>> Regards,
>> -Rob
>> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Keith N. McKenna
>> <>  wrote:
>>> Greetings All;
>>> I was going through FAQ's and other pages on the AOO (incubating)
>>> site and
>>> noticed that many still are showing that we support Windows 2000 as a
>>> baseline operating system. I though I remembered some discussions a
>>> while
>>> back on this list around that subject and thought we had decided that we
>>> would no longer do that due to lack of testing resources.
>>> I went back through the archives and did find a number of threads but
>>> they
>>> never seemed to reach a definite conclusion. I we are going to
>>> continue to
>>> support it all well and good, but if we cannot then all FAQ's and other
>>> documentation on the site should change to reflect that.
>>> Regards
>>> Keith

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin

View raw message