incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Call For UI Review] About the attribute list level of paragraph style
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 09:47:32 GMT
Hi,

On 30.09.2012 00:04, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Huaidong Qiu schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need some advice from the UI expert about the list
>> level attribute of Numbering Enhancement feature.
>>
>> I need a UI to link a numbering level of a list style to a paragraph style.
>>   I want add a list box control into the "Options" tab page of the
>> "Numbering style" dialog.
>>
>> The steps to open this tab page are:
>>
>> 1. New a writer document.
>> 2. press F11 open the "Style and Formatting" dialog.
>> 3. choose the "list style" tab page
>> 4. open context menu by left click on the tab page, select "new..." menu
>> item
>> 5. select the "Options" tab page of the "Numbering style" dialog.
>>
>> Here is a changed UI screen shot, I put this picture into the wiki page for
>> this feature
>>
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:Listlevel.png
>>
>> here is the wiki page for the Numbering Enhancement feature
>>
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/NumberingEnhancementforMSInteroperability
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> I have looked at your proposal. I think, that it does not work as intended in
> the ODF specification. In section 19.495 "style:list-level" there is "The
> style:list-level attribute specifies the list level value of a list style that
> may be applied to any paragraph style." When you put a paragraph style into the
> list style definition, then the part "may be applied to _any_ paragraph style"
> is not possible.
>
> Currently it is possible to specify a "numbering style" in the tab "Outline &
> Numbering" of the paragraph style, but it is not yet possible to say, which
> level of the style definition is to be used. You need to set the numbering level
> explicitly for each single paragraph, which has assigned this paragraph style.
>
> With the list-level attribute one says, that the paragraph, to which this
> paragraph style is applied, should get the list-level, which is given in this
> paragraph style.
>
> So in my understanding, the paragraph style should get an additional field to
> select the list-level of the list style, which is chosen in the drop-down list
> "Numbering Style". The list style UI remains as it is.

This is a good idea.
Thus, the user would had the possibility to specify the paragraph style's list
level in the List Style format dialog and in the Paragraph Style format dialog.

> When such a paragraph style is applied to a concrete paragraph, the specified
> level of this list style is applied to the paragraph automatically.
>
> In addition there is the text "It does not directly specify the paragraph's list
> level value, but consumers can change the paragraph's list level value to the
> specified value when the paragraph style is applied." in the ODF specification.
> Therefore the list level of the concrete paragraph is not bound to the
> list-level attribute in the paragraph style, but it's value can be set hard in
> the properties of the paragraph and applying a paragraph style gives only a
> start value of the list level value of the concrete paragraph.
> Further there is no paragraph style in text boxes.
> So it might be useful, to add a field for the list level in the paragraph
> property dialog too. Currently the list level can be set only with some
> demote/promote actions.

Being able to set the list level via the Paragraph format dialog could be also
an improvement of our UI.
As this UI feature is independent from the "paragraph style list level" feature
I am proposing to handle it via its own feature/enhancement issue.

Best regards, Oliver.