incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO volunteers: essential skills and tasks
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 04:14:11 GMT

On 12-10-28, at 19:30 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 23/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> New Volunteer Orientation root page:
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/
>>

>> This is an excellent resource. But we received a few requests from
>> prospective volunteers this weekend and I'm believing it would be
>> overwhelming to point them there. I still believe these documents are
>> excellent, but probably they are assuming our volunteer is above average, or
>> at least willing to engage deeply with the project. They would be perfect
>> for me, for you, or for a newcomer like Jan who has the skills and the
>> mindset to understand in detail how things work.
>>

> And how do we know in advance which volunteers are like Jan and which are not?
>
> I think we should find some way to point them to the info and say that
> they are welcome to jump in and ignore this all, or skim it in
> parallel with direct participation, or read through this stuff first.
> It is entirely up to them.

I agree. One thing that worked sometimes at Ye Olde OpenOffice was simply to ask Jan and others
what they would want there to make life easier for us all. This strategy has a couple of advantages.
One is that by crowdsourcing it one can plausibly get answers that differ from the ones we,
so familiar with this site and what we do would not come up with, and two, share the responsibility
of improvement with the community affected. That latter is goodness.

-louis