incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schmidt <joe...@j-m-schmidt.de>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] BoF session on AOO community
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 22:39:52 GMT

> Customers don't come to IBM looking only for OpenOffice.

I mean companies, not simple users. And these companies ask me if they should use AOO or LO
and they look around in the market.

These companies need my help, but they also need the confidence in the future of AOO and for
many companies this is not a question of what the community is saying, but to say what its
large community of partners (eg IBM).

Views on the document of February 2012:
  http://ebookbrowse.com/symphony-apache-future-faq-02-2012-pdf-d359761565

and I tell you, that is the question many companies: When will "The Apache OpenOffice IBM
Edition" on the market?

> They are
> looking for a bundle of software and services and OpenOffice might
> enter the discussions as a small part of the overall deal.  We
> commonly work with business partners, subcontractors, etc., where
> specialized skills are needed.  This includes partners large and
> small.

But what IBM is doing in practice?
It is your colleague who wrote the following:
https://www.xing.com/net/aoo/allgemeines-diskussionsforum-698796/partner-netzwerk-rund-um-apache-openoffice-41041065/

and when I speak of, as a consultant for AOO, IBM I get no useful answer. That is the fact.
Sorry, that's just the truth.
I you can not post details here, but I mean what I say.

> I doubt the opportunities will flow from small companies to IBM.

I do not, because it is grown in Germany OOo in business sector.

The truth in this case is the OOo was as last in higher esteem than StarOffice and that was
the merit of small German companies, not from Sun or Oracle.

Or is that 'too much' truth?

> > It would be good if IBM would consider the experiences of
> the past which consist of OOo, SUN and Oracle.
> >

> And you might consider IBM's experience with Linux, where we invested
> over $1 billion into Linux development, but we don't sell Linux.  But
> we're glad to work with partners on deals involving Linux.

Yes, you're right.

And many potential partners would be for the future of similar transactions with IBM wish
regarding AOO.

Statements in:
https://www.xing.com/net/aoo/allgemeines-diskussionsforum-698796/partner-netzwerk-rund-um-apache-openoffice-41041065/

are correct, they need to be filled with life

Again, sorry for my statements ... I know these are not issues for the list here, but there
are important issues for small companies and consultants like me. And it should be important
issues for IBM.

Greetings
Jörg