incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Initiate a Contest for Branding of 4.0
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 05:04:52 GMT

wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> The devil is in the details, but I think a contest can be a great way
> >> of getting many ideas, but also promoting AOO 4.0.  It makes it "an
> >> event".
> >>
> >> I think Dave mentioned that another Apache project had a logo contest
> >> and received a large number of entries.
> >
> > Which is why we go with "Branding", it's much broader than just a
> > graphic
> > logo.  there's color pallet, overall style, message, tenor,
> > presentation.
> > Those who just present a logo in isolation will be filtered early.
> > Those that have a grasp of the full depth of the brand but without the
> > whole package will show early which is why we go back to the responders
> > for more detail later on. Initial  proposals will to show understanding
> > of the task first up.

> For Apache Flex there were over 50 submissions of varying quality, style and
> presentation including a video. Everything was handled on the dev list.
> There was an understanding that branding would be involved. There were two
> rounds of voting and the community and the PPMC were in close agreement.
> The PPMC chose the community's second choice, but it was a very close
> second.

Firstly, I like the Flex logo, however I don't see it as whole branding
policy.

second, they have a small, specific, knowledgeable target market.

Third and once again I'll get shot at for making the statement, AOO is a
consumer product that counts it's users in the hundreds of millions which
makes things a little different.  Flex's logo is a personal thing that
reflects the community that develop it, there is no requirement for the brand
to excite new users.  Flex's best branding attribute is how well it does what
it's designed to do.  There is little subjective in the reasoning for a
developer to use a particular SDK and a Visual Brand Element is unlikely to
make a huge difference to expanding the user base.  It can however engender a
feeling of community and that is great.  Certainly there will be an element of
that in AOO's branding.  However, in the consumer space there is a strong
corelation between Brand Visualisation and the way the consumer feels about a
product.  Good branding engenders loyalty,  encourages users to give-it-a-try
and raises the dissatisfaction threshold.

We know that it does the job it sets out to do.  When I do change management
jobs and training and I demonstrate what OOo can do people go wow and are
always impressed, especially when I concentrate on the things that the
opposition can't do.  However our opposition has a higher threshold before
people get dissatisfied as evidenced by the number of support calls to OOo
that are basically problems caused by inadequacies in the other product not
with OOo.

Good branding and a bunch of other things surrounding the project will
mitigate that by building trust.

The people in this community are not our customers or at least are a small
subset of, it is the wider customer base or future customers that will (and
should) guide us as to the best branding policies.

Community votes don't work in a consumer product, votes are too subjective.
The community needs to be completely objective and divorce itself from likes
or dislikes and consider only the feelings of the market,  the market will
provide the subjective bit.

> The licensing required was made clear and the submissions were gathered on
> the podling site.
>
> For this contest we should be very clear  about the contexts that
> submissions should show. Site, splash screen, tshirt, etc.

All that is a given, however your headings are far too simplistic those are
just items.  This branding will colour the whole look and feel of the product
and will steer everything from stationery, webpresence to future icons to the
way we communicate with our users and potential users.

There are two overriding considerations:
Building Brand trust and
Building Brand recognition

This proposal is to "Initiate", there is a lot of work to do and discussions
to be had before the final RFP is released, please join in.

Cheers
GL