incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] IDE, comment translation, debugging, documentation and other development issues
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:14:35 GMT
Hi Damjan,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 07:44:06PM +0200, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> AOO is by far the biggest and most complex code I have ever hacked on,
> and I have many questions...

true, but you managed to get your first patch out of it! Congratulations
:)

> What IDE do you guys use to develop AOO? Eclipse CDT runs out of
> memory indexing the code :-(.

I guess you cannot index the whole source tree with an IDE. It may work
to just index the modules you are working with, no need to add all the
dependencies, if a module depends on trunk/main/foo, simply add to the
parser path trunk/main/foo/inc, and for the offapi/offuh header, you can
point the parser to an SDK installation, or even point it to the solver
include dir (but this might be too consuming). I used this approach with
some IDEs and worked.

> Many comments are in German. Are translations to English welcome or
> should we leave them as is?

Of course they are welcome. Better if done by a native speaker or
someone in the know (not google translate).

> Debugging is such a pain. Why do binaries get stripped when the tar.gz
> is built even though debugging has been enabled (build debug=true
> dbglevel=2 --all)?

they are striped when delivered to the solver. You have to configure
with --disable-strip-solver.

I'm not sure a dbglevel=2 is good for all the modules, you will get too
much debug output may be missing what you want to catch.

An interesting switch when developing is --enable-dbgutil that build
a NON-PRO build http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Non_Product_Build

> The layout of the source code tree is incredibly complex, with eg.
> confusing duplication of CSV parsing between binfilter/ and sc/.

binfilter is dead code, soon to be removed when trunk is in AOO4

> there somewhere I should document the structure of various modules?
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_code_directories seems like a
> good place to start but I would add a lot more detail.
>
> Searching with grep takes forever. I've tried indexing the source tree
> with Lucene, but it doesn't find everything. Is there a better tool?

Use opengrok from adfinis http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile