incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Apache and ODF
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:54:17 GMT
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:38:25 -0700
Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> As a member of the Apache POI and OpenOffice PMCs. The answer is yes ODF toolkit might
be the correct approach. The mentors on that podling Yegor and Nick are key members of the
POI project. They will both be at ApacheCon EU.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 25, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Säger <villeroy@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today my wife got her new Kindle which comes with a document viewer
> > based on Apache Freetype for the rendering job and Apache POI which is a
> > Java library to parse Microsoft documents.
> > It handles doc(x)/xls(x)/ppt(x) but no ODF. Although I am not deeply
> > involved in this project, I feel somewhat embarrassed and alarmed
> > because in the year 2012 the Apache foundation develops excellent tools
> > to process proprietary file formats but fails to offer anything
> > equivalent for the free and much simpler ODF standard.
> > Is my assumption correct that http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/
> > would be the remedy to solve that problem but due to a lack of
> > development resources it is not ready for the job?
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Andreas Säger

As an immediate work-around, Calibre will convert .odf files to almost every ebook format;
its formatting is under user control.  Admittedly it would be good if OpenOffice could directly
support at least the more frequent ebook formats, without having to rely on an extension to
do so.  I remember that there is such an extension, but hae no time to look for the link just
now.
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>