incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OO General Questions
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 01:07:24 GMT
Hi Andrew;

----- Original Message -----

> Couple of questions:
>
> (Q) it was stated to me at one time that integrating changes between AOO and LO
> would not be overly complicated (bad memory, but maybe it was Tom Davis
> referencing the fact that Symphony was kept in sync with OOo). Are any changes
> integrated between AOO and LO (in either direction) at this time? I have been
> asked this question specifically (as it related to the code clean-up effort in
> LO), and I generally say "I don't know, but I don't think so".

Some of it has happened in both ways. I won't talk about the LO "relicensing"
because I simply don't understand how it is supposed to work and ultimately
I am not a lawyer.

In the case of AOO. I have in my HD some code that authors have agreed to
contribute. The code will remain uncommitted because:

- In one case the code is big enough that I need a signed iCLA and while the
author has agreed he hasn't really had time lately.
- In another case the code is not big but I have requested the patches be
submitted through bugzilla to keep a record of the contribution (private
email is not trustable nowadays).

In both cases I can wait: the code is not critical, just nice to have.

I wish it were easier to contribute though: we cannot expect someone to go
over the trouble of porting and testing their patches twice. This said, the
latest versions of LO introduce bugs that I can't reproduce on AOO. AOO is
very stable and we want to keep it that way.

> (Q) AOO lists use addresses such as ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org and
> ooo-api@incubator.apache.org. Assuming that AOO is taken from incubator status,
> will incubator be dropped from the list names and will current subscribers be
> ported to the new list?

I would think so, yes.

Pedro.