incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation patches
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:13:32 GMT

Hi Herbert;

>________________________________
> From: Herbert Dürr <hdu@apache.org>

>Hi Pedro,
>
>> The ability to sidestep archive creation would be welcome (I think).
>
>That is already possible using the configure option
>  --with-package-format="installed"
>which avoids the archive creation.

I have to try it, but it will take a while.

>Getting back to the topic of having an "install" makefile target:
>There already is an "install" target for dmake, but its usage and its result is different
enough from a "make install" in most other projects.

Aha, yes, that's the issue: how to get AOO installed without generating the archive :).

>Changing the build process so that "make clean", "make", "make install" etc. will work
as expected by newcomers might be a worthwhile goal.

That is indeed something that takes a lot of *my* development time: when something
fails in the middle of my changes I usually have to clean by hand the module (rm -rf)
and invoke the script I use (actually a port makefile) to set the build environment and
start building (everything) again. It's a PITA!

>With the files of the "installed" package-format already residing in e.g. main/instsetoo_native/*/OpenOffice/installed/install/en-US
>eventually it is not too much effort to add an "install" target that feels almost right.

I guess this is the answer to my first statement :).

Pedro.