incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation patches
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:24:30 GMT

>________________________________
> From: Andre Fischer

>>   We also don't need EPM to generate tar files.
>Should not be too hard to make EPM an optional perquisite when no RPMs or DEBs are created.
Maybe this already works?

We tried that (with Maho), but it doesn't work. EPM is always required and we had to specify

--with-package-format="archive"

in configure.

>> Linux and OS X don't have msimsp.exe though, so maybe that's why Chrome
>>
>> invented Courgette ;).
>
>Maybe.  But msimsp.exe and bsdiff/courgette solve different problems.  You need more
than bsdiff/courgette for a working updater.

>I am more interested in the FireFox and Thunderbird update mechanism.  Downloading the
patches in the background,
> preparing the update, and only on the next restart do the remaining work that requires
superuser or Administrator permissions.

bsdiff is only a binary patch utility, you certainly need more for a working updater.

cheers,

Pedro.