incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation patches
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 15:39:52 GMT

From: Andre Fischer

>>   As you can imagine generating packages takes a lot of time: it involves extracting
and repackaging.: it would be nice to have a "raw" mode that just installs things and let
our ports/packaging system take over.

>I am not sure what you mean.

I meant that would be nice to have a way to specify "make install" that just installs the
files without
going through intermediate installation sets. We also don't need EPM to generate tar files.

This is completely unrelated to the update mechanism though.

>> Updates:
>>
>> FreeBSD will be transitioning RSN to the new pkgng format which takes care of dependencies
and updates in third party packages. I haven't looked at it in detail but it is considered
ready for prime time and has been tested extensively. For the base system we have a system
in place which uses bsdiff:

>> http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/
>>
>> This would be very useful to release binary patches for security fixes or minor updates.
Google chrome used this same mechanism and later enhanced it into Courgette:

>> http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/software-updates-courgette
>
>I looked at that before I realized that msimsp.exe is already handling
>the comparison of (binary) files and possibly the creation of binary
>diffs (but probably not as good as either bsdiff or courgette.

Linux and OS X don't have msimsp.exe though, so maybe that's why Chrome

invented Courgette ;).

Using the native facilities for Windows is fine and that solves more than 80%
of the problem so it sounds like you are on the right track.

Pedro.