incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: old business...old OpenOffice domain names registered by Oracle (primarily)
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:24:18 GMT

On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> On 12-10-31, at 14:17 , Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the update. I'm not sure what this means though. :/
>>>
>>> Oracle didn't renew them and now these domains are up for grabs?
>> Unfortunately - that does seem to be the case.  I'm not sure if that is really a
problem, though.

> I don't think it is.
>

>> A lot of these domains were acquired as a defensive measure, and I am not sure there
is currently a substantial problem  with these 'similar domains'.

> Quite. I was working with the legal team at Sun and then Oracle on these and a) not many
of them and b) the efforts were targeted and defensive and did not really map to any aggressive
outreach strategy. Actually, to say a nice thing about a certain set of companies, the efforts
really were directed to shelter the most active communities.

I did a series of whois requests on these domains. They seems to be registered with Tucows
on auto-renewal:

eg:
Domain ID:D159673109-LROR
Domain Name:IT-OPENOFFICE.ORG
Created On:16-Jul-2010 19:33:15 UTC
Last Updated On:17-Jun-2012 06:09:50 UTC
Expiration Date:16-Jul-2013 19:33:15 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)

>> Also, if a problem does arise, we have the trademark to protect the brand.
>
> Yes, but perhaps we can start a new thread  or threads that can finalize this issue and
re-frame it not as a set of defensive tactics but as a strategy to promote AOO, and to use
the domains as vehicles for that promotion….

The thread name is correct. This is old business..

Choice 1 - work to transfer domains to the ASF so that the AOO can "do something" with these
domains.

In order to take control of the DNS for each domain we need someone with Apache Infrastructure
karma to work in concert with the proper person from Oracle in order to transfer all of these
domain registrations.

Choice 2 - ignore these domains. Let Oracle know we don't care. They can make their own choice
about renewing these domains or not.

Regards,
Dave