incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "gary_domke" <gary_do...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject ACEU 2012 - travel subsidy Gary E. Domke
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:18:31 GMT
Gary E. Domke

gary_domke@sbcglobal.net

incubator

I've been an Open Office user since the inception of the community and
program (incubator) and do truly love the concept, the product and the
nature of the contributors.  I'm 66 years old, a "semi-retired" executive
vice president of a stock brokerage and investment banking firm (somewhat
dependent on my social security checks to put food on my table).  I'm
slightly more technologically competent than most people my age, have built
several computers starting with Heathkit and Commodore PET products back in
the '70s.  I've written a couple of tiny and unsophisticated programs in
Basic and C+ at various times that served my purpose.  I helped establish
the original MIRC and was sysop for the #new2mirc training link visited by
thousands of users as a first step to using Internet Relay Chat.    Even
with that very limited (self - taught) level of knowledge, I'm frequently
asked to assist clients, family and friends with computer issues, problems
or to provide guidance about purchases of hardware or selection of
appropriate software.

    I think a forum like ApacheCon EU might benefit from input at my level
of expertise.  I could well be the "proto-typical" end user of Open Office.
I'm a gifted public speaker, friendly, outgoing and reasonably personable.

    Following a couple of unfortunate personal events, I no longer have the
resources to pay for travel outside of the range of a couple of tanks of
gasoline.

    I'd love to attend and believe I could make a contribution.  Lacking any
personal financial resources of significance and without any corporate or
TAC funding,  I'd need the full subsidy, discount and 600,000EUR to be able
to make the trip.  It'd be great if I could stay for several nights.

    Every product development process should have input from typical
end-users.  I'm about as typical as you'll find anywhere on the planet.