incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 17:18:38 GMT
I'm sorry, Rob.  Those files are toxic *for me*.  I can't touch them in their present state.
 I also don't want to read them in their present state until the provenance and permissive
licensing is dealt with.

What is irrelevant for you is not irrelevant for me.  And you're not my lawyer.

Offering to remove the files is bizarre.  What is that, slash-dot bait?

 - Dennis

PS: I was asked, shortly after AOO incubation started, why I did not contribute to LibreOffice.
 My response to that private question was that I do contribute at a level that does not require
my working with the LibreOffice code.  As a permissive-license open-source developer I have
no interest in possible contamination of my own work by knowledge of something under LGPL,
GPL, any other reciprocal license and in particular anything that is proprietary.  (I avoid
the proprietary problem by not signing NDAs unless they are reciprocal and it is something
I have no difficulty keeping in confidence.)

[Full disclosure: To be accurate, I did contribute one (unused) patch to LibreOffice and I
also provided private review of a patch that has been released in LibreOffice for reducing
the information leakage and ease of known-plaintext attacks on encrypted (save with Password)
ODF files.  I also realize that I could privately rely on Symphony code, but I could not produce
anything based on it since I can't provide sanitary provenance.  Sanitary provenance is a
standard I must satisfy for myself.]