incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Apache and ODF
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:52:55 GMT
@Rory,

I agree about Kindle.  A Kindle Fire has more functionality and all of the UI capabilities
one expects of an Android device, whereas the Kindle Readers have a different, special-purpose
application.

I see Rob has provided a comprehensive statement later on this thread.  I would add that this
is not a matter that requires particular support in ODF.  Implementations of ODF support clearly
have discretion in this area, since there is no specification of how presentation is handled
for editing.

 - Dennis

OTHER EXPERIENCE

My smart phone has Adobe (Acrobat) Reader on it.

Acrobat Reader maintains layout fidelity but it is easy to zoom into the full-page view and
also move around on it.  I can rotate the phone, of course, in order to have a wider view
or a longer view.

For Word documents on my smartphone, there is less attention to formatting and print layout
and the material is "re-flowed".  If I rotate the phone, the layout will be reflowed again
to take advantage of the landscape or portrait window.  There is no attempt to replicate page
layout.

Also, my phone does not allow editing of Office documents that have features the phone can't
preserve.  (I have the option of opening the document, stored on SkyDrive, via the browser
on the phone, however.)

For Excel documents, there is more attention to layout preservation.  It is a bit in-between
the PDF and the Word cases.

I agree, tablets and slates will have more room for improved layout.  Since a table may be
able to connect to a printer, also, there would need to be a way to see a print preview, even
if print layout is challenging, depending on the size of the tablet display.  A great deal
will also depend on how much of the work is done on the device and how much is in the cloud,
depending on connectivity and other provisions/options.

 - Dennis