incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 15:57:14 GMT
Besides the concerns of the IPMC over toxic IPR in the SVN for an extended time, the greatest
difficulty I see is that no one on the project can touch this code or work on merging any
useful bits until the IPR cleanup happens.  At the moment, it appears that the entire Symphony
subdirectory on the OOO SVN is untouchable.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 23:36
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS]: next step towards graduation

On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
>> I nose around in the Symphony code from time to time and I notice there is no reflection
of the grant and availability under ALv2 has occurred.

> We were notified that the grant was received.
>
>> Is it expected that something be done about that?  There are files that are
>>
>>  - still under Sun LGPL license,
>>  - some that add an IBM License and copyright under private license
>>  - some that claim an IBM Copyright and provide no license whatsoever,
>>    although there is a notice concerning government use
>>

> Yes, this needs to be cleaned up before any of this is part of a
> release.  But it is not a graduation issue.  Remember, an SGA may come
> from anywhere, at any time, before graduation or after graduation.
> This is blessing, not a problem.  But the code does need to be
> reviewed and brought in line with policy before it can be part of a
> release.

It is still work that ought to be done sooner rather than later. And the header work should
be done by someone from IBM. Who might that be?

Whoever it is should be doing it already. There is no excuse to delay.

BTW - Large software grants go through the incubator. TLPs do this. [1]

I think that not clearing the Symphony grant might be a graduation problem for some on the
IPMC. It will certainly be discussed.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html