incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [WWW] Do we need a new site logo (for graduation) -- call for volunteers
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 23:00:09 GMT
I notice that Apache Forrest does use the Apache feather: there are three of them stood on
their quills as if they are a small stand of trees.

It seems to me that the incorporation of the feather can be a little strained.  The cases
where it is in shadow, on the other hand, are easy to overlook.

The orb with stylized gulls is very convenient at a lot of sizes and formats, including as
a download button, an icon on directory entries on downloaded exe and oxt files, etc.  If
the feather is to be a feature of that, it will be tricky.

It would be useful to see some examples, as Kay suggests.

 - Dennis

PS: I also wonder whether generic icons should be part of the source release and distinct
icons be used in the Apache-provided "authentic" builds.  In that case, it would be great
if the generic icons did not have the feather in any way. That's a half-baked notion, and
it simply might not be acceptable.  It is something I wonder about -- differentiating builds
produced by the project from ones produced in some other manner and the source only having
the generic icons.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kay Schenk [mailto:kay.schenk@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 15:30
To: OOo Apache
Subject: [WWW] Do we need a new site logo (for graduation) -- call for volunteers

We all love the orb with gulls, but maybe it's time for a slight update
to our logo? Or the header line on our websites (project and user portal).

I took a look around at some of the Apache projects and the use of
project logos and web site headers seems to fall into a few different
categories.

Sites using Apache feather but not in product logo --

http://camel.apache.org/
http://forrest.apache.org/
http://cocoon.apache.org/

Sites incorporating feather logo into an existing logo --

http://mina.apache.org/
http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/
http://axis.apache.org/axis2/java/core/
http://activemq.apache.org/
http://ofbiz.apache.org/ (???)

Sites not making overt use of any Apache logo (feather) --
http://click.apache.org/

So, any preferences? Ideas?

There already exists a AOOLogo proposal page,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal

so we could just add items to this, or change some that are here, or add
a child page, etc.

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin