incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] 3.5, 4.0, fixpack, milestone build...
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:59:05 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Shenfeng Liu <liushenf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>    After 3.4.1, we are focusing on preparation of the community graduation.
>> But I still want to remind us to take some time to think about our future
>> releases.
>>
>>    We have the discussion early about what 3.5 and 4.0 should look like. If
>> I remember correctly:
>> (1) 3.5 should be more about fidelity, reliability, performance and
>> translation, new platform support...
>> (2) While 4.0, in addition to the same focuses as 3.5, should also add
>> significant UX enhancements (e.g. sidebar, modern UI) and new values (e.g.
>> Accessibility, social integration capability, enhanced installer, new
>> features...). If we make good progress on those items at the same time, we
>> may consider to skip 3.5.
>> (3) There are also more requirements (e.g. fixpack mechanism, simplifying
>> the build structure, OOMXL export, smartArt...) we need  to put into our
>> backlog and consider their priority.
>>
>>    Even we don't need to discuss the solid plan now, but there are already a
>> lot of development activities on the trunk. So I think we need to keep
>> certain track on it. Though it may be too early to set a target date for
>> the next release, but it is important for us to tell more about what we
>> think the next release should contain.
>>
>>    So I'm suggesting the following:
>>
>> 1. Keep updating the current release planning wiki:
>>       -
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.5+Release+Planning
>>       -
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Release+Planning
>>     I know it is a little confusing for 2 places to input. But think about
>> the scope we agreed above. You can input to the wiki that you think your
>> work belong to. I personally will monitor both wiki pages.
>>
>> 2. Figure out a better way to manage our release backlog. e.g. set Target
>> Milestone to 3.5 or 4.0 in Bugzilla for what we recommended.
>>
>> 3. Deliver milestone builds to harvest our development fruits. A milestone
>> build is:
>>       (a) a development snapshot that contains the features/enhancements
>> that implemented till now;
>>       (b) passed regression test to ensure no severe defects;
>>       (c) announced on a development wiki;
>>       (d) with documents on the wiki for the list of features and bug fixes
>> in this milestone build (like a release notes).
>>     Since whatever 3.5 or 4.0 sounds to me like some thing in next year or
>> at least close to the end of this year, milestone builds can be light weigh
>> on process to show our development progress, and give people a more clear
>> view on how far are we to the next release.
>>
>>    Looking forward every one's comments!
>>

> Maybe also start a "release notes" page on the wiki.  Whenever a new
> feature or important bug fix is added to the trunk also add something
> [...]
Rob;

A Release Notes page already exists or 3.5 and one or 4.0 can be easily
added. The complication I see here is since we have not decided whether
the next release will be 3.5 or 4.0 that would require adding it in two
places. I see that as a lot of overhead at this point.

I could create a separate page as a sandbox where what you suggest could
be input, then when the release comes it is just a matter of moving the
data from the sandbox into the formal Release Notes page.

Regards
Keith