incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:38:54 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 09/22/2012 04:42 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> I am not clear what the lazy consensus is about.
>>>
>>> Clearly, there is no restriction on anyone contributing to User
>>> Guides for Apache OpenOffice on ODFAUthors, beyond the
>>> terms/conventions/what-ever that apply to contributions there.
>>>
>>> So I suppose what is being asked for is consensus that there will
>>> not, at this time, be any separate effort inside of the Apache
>>> OpenOffice project and the project will look to relying on the
>>> ODFAuthors site for emergence of updated User Guides.  Contributions
>>> should be made there.
>>>
>>> In other words, there won't be any forking of ODFAuthors work into
>>> the project.  I assume that means avoidance of duplicate effort as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I'm aligned with that direction.
>>>
>>> - Dennis
>>>
>> First of all let me apologize if either my as yet limited understanding
>> of "The Apache Way" or my sometimes terse writing style added to any
>> confusion.
>>
>> My intention was to seek lazy consensus o Scenario 2 rom the wiki page
>> as the preferred way to go for getting an updated Getting Started Guide
>> and or other documentation ready for the 3.5 release. The main reason I
>> did it was because there was Option 1 which was to shelve it. It was in
>> no way intended to cut off discussion of where we should go where we go
>> with documentation for AOO version 4 as that is a major release and has
>> the potential for major changes to the UI that may influence a
>> re-evaluation of not only the structure of the documentation but also
>> the presentation of it.
>>
>> I hope I have cleared up my intentions and again apologies or the
>> inadvertent ailure to clearly communicate.

Kay;

> Keith --
>
> I think what you did was fine. I just have one quick question on
> Scenario 2. I know a lot of effort has already gone into the the User
> Guide to Apache 3.4 by ODFAuthors. I remember seeing a comment/post from
> someone which I can NOT now locate, that essentially said folks involved
> with ODFAuthors were still very interested in this documentation but
> that progress had languished due to to lack of leadership -- i.e.
> someone from the AOO "team" to move this along?

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I answer to your question there is
a complete Getting Started Guide or AOO v3.4. The chapters are complete
and waiting for review.

> Is this an accurate statement? If it is, assuming you will now head up
> this effort, I think your recommendation on Scenario 2 is fine and I'm
> sure the current writers at ODFAuthors would be happy to see us progress
> with the existing drafts.

I believe it is an accurate statement. A lot of the reason the drafts
lingered is that it was difficult to get people from the AOO "team" to
do a review for technical accuracy of the individual chapters. I think I
pretty much volunteered when I wrote the first posts in this group about
the subject. I only hope that I can do it the justice that it deserves.

> I truly appreciate your efforts in all this.

Thank you Kay. It means a lot coming from someone with your stature and
experience with the project.

Regards
Keith