incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:20:34 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2012, at 7:43 PM, "Keith N. McKenna"
> <keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>> I am not clear what the lazy consensus is about.
>>>
>>> Clearly, there is no restriction on anyone contributing to User
>>> Guides for Apache OpenOffice on ODFAUthors, beyond the
>>> terms/conventions/what-ever that apply to contributions there.
>>>
>>> So I suppose what is being asked for is consensus that there
>>> will not, at this time, be any separate effort inside of the
>>> Apache OpenOffice project and the project will look to relying on
>>> the ODFAuthors site for emergence of updated User Guides.
>>> Contributions should be made there.
>>>
>>> In other words, there won't be any forking of ODFAuthors work
>>> into the project.  I assume that means avoidance of duplicate
>>> effort as well.
>>>
>>> I'm aligned with that direction.
>>>
>>> - Dennis
>> First of all let me apologize if either my as yet limited
>> understanding of "The Apache Way" or my sometimes terse writing
>> style added to any confusion.
>>

> No worries; no problem. You are doing fine.   We're generally
> oriented toward making it easy for volunteers to do non-controversial
> things without additional process overhead.

As a process engineer I appreciate that; all overhead does is add to the
cost with often minimal benefit. After a fairly decent night sleep and
some further reflection I had though that it might be better to cancel
the request for lazy consensus and just forge ahead.

> In the present case (IMHO) the hard part will not be reaching
> consensus on where to do the works. Harder will be agreeing on the
> outline of tasks and finding volunteers to do the tasks.  One
> approach that might help is to get enough structure developed for
> the work that we can recruit more volunteers, perhaps via a project
> blog post.

I agree that the nitty gritty of getting it done will be the more
difficult part. I have some ideas that still need some fleshing out. A
project blog post sounds like an interesting recruiting idea.

>> My intention was to seek lazy consensus o Scenario 2 rom the wiki
>> page as the preferred way to go for getting an updated Getting
>> Started Guide and or other documentation ready for the 3.5 release.
>> The main reason I did it was because there was Option 1 which was
>> to shelve it. It was in no way intended to cut off discussion of
>> where we should go where we go with documentation for AOO version 4
>> as that is a major release and has the potential for major changes
>> to the UI that may influence a re-evaluation of not only the
>> structure of the documentation but also the presentation of it.
>>

>> I hope I have cleared up my intentions and again apologies or the
>> inadvertent ailure to clearly communicate.
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Keith N. McKenna
>>> [mailto:keith.mckenna@comcast.net] Sent: Saturday, September 22,
>>> 2012 07:47 To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: [User
>>> Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or
>>> AOO

It offers 3 scenarios or the creation of the docs. I believe that we can