incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:04:20 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 09/15/2012 06:18 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> Greetings All;
>>
>> In order to stimulate some discussion on user documentation I have added
>> the hollowing page to the User Documentation Plan on the Plannig Wiki:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Guides+Revisted.
>>
>> It offers 3 scenarios or the creation of the docs. I believe that we can
>> no longer put this issue aside.
>>
>> Please take a look at the page and eel free to comment there and on this
>> list. Also feel free to add to or change any content there.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith N. McKenna
>
> Keith,
>
> Thanks for starting this and for the wiki doc -- it will be very
> helpful. Because writing documentation (user guides, howtos, tutorials)
> is a relatively easy entry point for new volunteers to help out, I've
> been thinking about this as well the last few days. So, I will make some
> comments on the wiki page, and probably some changes on both
> www.openoffice.org/documentation area and the Documentation wiki start
> page as well.

Hi Kay;

Thanks or the comments, fell free to edit the hell out of the wiki doc.
It is meant to generate some serious discussion on how  we go about
getting *Quality* documentation.

I agree that Howtos and even some tutorials are a good entry point for
people, user guides however may be a bit of a different story. There the
services of good tech writers are important. That point is what drove
Scenario 2. Utilizing the work that has already been done as a leverage
point to get Quality work out in a timely manner. Also there are some
folks at the ODFAuthors site that have expressed an interest in working
on the AOO docs, but have shied away due to inactivity. Hopefully if we
show that we are serious in our attempt we *_MAY_* be able to get some
additional help.

I will look forward to your edits on the wiki and the doc site.

As an aside, is there a developer snapshot available or 3.5 yet? I would
like to start work on the Getting Started Guide on the ODFAuthors site
and it makes sense to make edits based on 3.5 since that will be the
most likely next release.

Regards
Keith