incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:32:25 GMT
RGB ES wrote:
> 2012/9/16 Keith N. McKenna <keith.mckenna@comcast.net>
>
>> Greetings All;
>>
>> In order to stimulate some discussion on user documentation I have added
>> the hollowing page to the User Documentation Plan on the Plannig Wiki:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> User+Guides+Revisted<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Guides+Revisted>.
>> It offers 3 scenarios or the creation of the docs. I believe that we can no
>> longer put this issue aside.
>>
>> Please take a look at the page and eel free to comment there and on this
>> list. Also feel free to add to or change any content there.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith N. McKenna
>>

> Thanks! That's a really good summary of our situation. Scenario 3 is
> possible the best alternative, but it need a lot of work and not only
> because the writing itself: we still need to discuss how 4.0 will look
> alike.
>
> But there are some parts that will not change, no matter how the UI is
> modified: what a style and a template are and why is it better to use them
> instead of direct formatting, for example.
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Ricardo;

Thanks for reading the page and for the feedback. I agree that Scenario
3 is the best alternative for the short term. Yes it will take a lot of
work, but a lot of work is already done. I need to get a windows version
of AOO 3.5 so I can start doing some of the clean-up work that needs to
be done on the Getting Started Guide.

As for Version 4, I agree that we need to start discussions *NOW* on
what it will look like and on what the documentation will look like and
where the resources will come from. The latter is going to be a very big
deal if the documentation gets a complete re-write.

Regards
Keith