incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas S├Ąger <ville...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1377138 - /incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/development/releases/3.4.1.html
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:19:29 GMT
Am 01.09.2012 19:05, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Andres,
>

>> OK, once more:
>
> Yes, please. It has been some misunderstanding. If I understood clearly,
> there are two bugs:
>
> 1) Java 7 not recognized
> 2) Java versions recognized but being suboptimal with Base + JDBC
>

> (1) happens only on Windows, mostly Windows 7 64 bits. I haven't seen
> any report of this happening on Linux 32/64 bits, and if I understood
> you clearly, neither could you reproduce it

I "tested" Java7 with AOO 3.4 on a Windows 2008 box (64 bit) and a one
Windows 7 (32) box.
My personal little testing included the following steps:
Open a Base doc connected to our HSQLDB server.
Open a Base doc accessing HSQLDB in cached mode.
Export some XHTML.
Start the wizards below File>Wizards>...
Start the Base wizards for tables, queris, forms and reports.
On that evening I did not have the time to test all the wizards in depth
(and strictly speaking, I am not entitled to install any office suite on
that server machine).
The 64 bit box required an additional 32 bit version of Java7 because
OOo Java components are part of the 32 bit application.

> (2) happens on Linux and Windows, both 32 and 64 bits. This is
> a performance issue with Base+JDBC. If a user does not need Base/JDBC at
> all, she/he can still use Java 7 for the Letter/Fax/Agenda wizards,
> extensions, etc. (I haven't seen performance reports in these areas).

I never noticed this performance problem under Windows.
Strictly speaking it is not only a JDBC issue. It affects any kind of
access to some Java database. The embedded database does not use JDBC,
same with non-embedded HSQL 2.x accessing some database in cached mode,
same with a H2 databaseof mine also used in cached mode. Linux+Java7+AOO
Base makes them crawl.

> Side comment, it should be noticed that there is no need to actually
> *install* Java 6, you can unzip a JRE anywhere and then point OpenOffice
> to use it, and things work just fine (assuming you didn't mess with
> environment variables, etc.). This works both on Linux and Windows; that
> said, I've no idea if Oracle is providing un-installable, zipped
> versions.

Right. Any extractable rpm, deb or tar ball may do the job. Just point
Tools>Options>Java to the extracted directory.
Oracle's current jre-6u35-linux-x64.bin can be treated as a zip archive.