incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Apache OpenOffice (incubating) - fund allocation for ACEU 2012
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:14:49 GMT
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your message! Comments below:

EU (ACEU) 2012 - see the corresponding thread on ooo-dev@i.a.o [1].
> We are currently discussing the granting processes - see [2].
> The purpose of this post is to assure ASF's charity status and to clarify the actual
spending of the money regarding our planned fund allocation.
> We want to spend the following money for ACEU 2012 participants from the Apache OpenOffice
(incubating) community:
> - 10 x 300/600 EUR for travel expense subsidy
> - 30 x 100 EUR for ticket discounts for non-committers
> Questions regarding assurence of charity status:
> (1) Do the planned spendings violate our charity status?

I'm not the person to definitively answer this -- I believe this has to do with legal@ too,
the VP, Legal is also on the treasurer list :) so he can help decide if there needs to be
a legal@
CC here. To my knowledge though, I think that you already have approval to proceed based on
old discussions I saw regarding this topic on board@, and also based on Ross Gardler being
board@ guy and Apache OO mentor and bringing this up too.

> (2) What do we need to consider in our planned granting processes to assure our charity

I think the most important thing is to make sure that the process is traceable and auditable,

> Questions regarding actual spending of the money:
> (1) Is it possible to spend the "ticket discount" money via a special promotion code
in the ACEU 2012 ticket system?

Not sure about this :) The ApacheCon folks, or Mellissa, our EA, would probably be
good people to ask, so I've CC'ed Melissa here.

> (1a) If not, do you have any recommendation how the money should be spent?
> (2) What are the possibilities to spend the "travel expense subsidy" money?
> (2a) Do you have a recommendation how the money should be spent?

Regarding the above, I'd say come up with a process that is documented, you guys decide how
you want to spend it, come up with a Bill or someone to pay, provide that information
to the Treasurer@ list (me and Sam) and we'll move forward with the approval process.

Right now, our bills are paid by having someone with the appropriate karma put a file in:

Then, they are reviewed by someone with the appropriate budget authority (e.g., in Travel
believe that's Jim since he's the President) and then placed in:

At that point, the Treasurer's office can pay the bill (via wire transfer; electronic funds
deposit, etc.)
provided that all the information is given to address the payee, and then once we pay, we
move the bill into:

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246