incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PERSONAL] My Idea from a Europe Tour
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:10:13 GMT
R,

On 12-09-19, at 16:06 , Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi at all
>
> I have a bit a crazy Idea. I plane a Tour across same Countrys of
> Europe, only with my floorball sick, my bicycle and my computer. The
> main goal is to go from floorball club to floorball club and make a
> training together. The traveling I will do all with my bicycle. The
> focus is clarly on the sport activity, but I have also my notebook with
> me and i am willing to promote Apache OpenOffice and the work on this
> Software too. I will start in Switzerland, and than go to Germany,
> Sweeden, Finnland (Sweden and Finnland are big floorball Countrys).
> The main reason for this action is, to show, that a disability most not
> be a handycap. I want to inspir people for sport, floorball, and at
> least Apache OpenOffice.
> The route is compleetly open at the moment. So if you want to invate me
> as a company, university, or school, then send me a PM. Thanks a load.
>
> Greetings Raphael
> --
> My private Homepage: http://www.raphaelbircher.ch/

it sounds like a great idea. That makes it a great idea :-)

I have to confess. I had to look up "floorball." This is what the hoi polloi say about it:

Floorball, a type of floor hockey, is an indoor team sport which was developed in the 1970s
in Sweden. Floorball is most popular in areas where the sport has developed the longest, such
as the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.[citation
needed] The game is played indoors on a wooden or rubber mat floor, making it a year-round
sport at amateur and professional levels. There are professional leagues, such as Finland's
Salibandyliiga andSweden's Svenska Superligan.

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floorball, accessed 2012-09-19 17:06 −0500 UTC+1DST)

(Personally, I think that any hockey will *lead* to disability, like of the missing teeth
variety, not to mention disjointed previously unmovable body parts, but that's me.)

Given the inspiration of the recently run Terry Fox race in Canada, it further occurs to me
that Raphael's sojourn could be sponsored, the way that long-distance walks/runs are. Eg,
for every ten kilometres or club (whichever is most reasonable) cash is donated. I'm not sure
how that would work in this instance, but my guess is that it would likely be out of Apache's
purview.

Best
Louis