incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:24:45 GMT
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> wrote:
> I'm not particularly satisfied with current PMC selection process. I think
> the first pass was actually fairly reasonable, and fairly quickly resulted
> in a list that contains the people who are serious about the project.
> Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find consensus on the next step.  I'd

Just a quick observation.  We're hitting some classic bike shedding.
Selecting a PMC is something that everyone feels competent to comment
on and have an opinion about.  Therefore, everyone does have an
opinion and posts their opinion.  I'm as guilty as the next person.
This leads to a form of analysis paralysis and stagnation.  We have
half a dozen or more variations on selection methods that probably
will yield approximately the same thing in the end.  Maybe fine
distinctions, but not critical ones.

One way to escape this is for someone (anyone) to make a concrete
proposal and push it forward.  In other words, seek lazy consensus and
carry it out.  That will reveal if there are any substantive
objections to a proposal versus endless discussions on variations and
alternatives that have no greater degree of support.

In any case, I'd have no objections to your proposed method.  But I do
fear it will languish unless pushed forward with more vigor. And I'd
urge others to support whatever reasonable proposal comes along rather
than continuing to bike shed on alternatives that are slightly
different, but probably no better.  Weigh the benefits of progressing
on this against the microscopic incremental gains that we'll see by
continuing discussion on voting/selection methods.

Regards,

-Rob