incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:09:38 GMT
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-09-19, at 10:05 , Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/19/12 3:56 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>> I would agree with Peter's list but would ask that Ian Lynch be considered. Here's
why: Whom do we have speaking on behalf of education and ecosystem development? As I'm not
on this list—and I'm not suggesting I ought to be—I think that someone like Ian, who's
work is so involved with OO and has been—would provide good insight into how what is done
at Apache OO affects the ecosystem as a whole.

>> I would first suggest that you and Ian read how the proposal of Andrew
>> was intended to work ;-)
>
> I read it. I find some problems with it. Namely, momentum in threads tends to prevail
over nuance and history. There is opacity here as to how these names were suggested, what
they mean, how they are supposed to change over time. Andrew's long proposal was just that,
a proposal. A better method I'd suggest, if we want to put names up, is to use a wiki, or
some other mechanism that foregrounds history, motive, idea.

How would you deal with "opacity here as to how these names were
suggested"?  These are individual's stated preferences.  Nothing more,
nothing less.  Unless we require that everyone give a complete,
detailed justification for every name they pick, what can we do?  A
wiki certainly doesn't change that.

>> And I am not sure or better don't understand the relation of your
>> comment to the membership in the PMC. It is not directly related to each
>> other and can be of course done independently.
>
> I'll be clearer in future. But for now, I've misgivings over this process and do not
like it nor do I believe as such it serves the AOO community well. I think one that reflects
the points I mentioned above is better, but am always open to learn of yet better ways.