incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice in the browser?
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:18:07 GMT
On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Jesper Thomsen <jesper@roozz.com> wrote:
> Hi Regina,
>
> I am resending the message to this address as requested - I look forward to
> your feedback.

Hi Jesper,

Taking a look at your Roozz website, it looks like you would want to
redistribute the binary packages for Apache OpenOffice, but probably
not need to modify the code at the source level.  If this is correct,
then our open source license should give you the permissions that you
need.  See here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

In particular, no additional permission is needed to copy and
redistribute OpenOffice.

Note however that we do have dependencies on several other 3rd party
libraries.  These are included in our install and they come with their
own terms.  Check the LICENSE and NOTICE files that come with the
install for details.  Some of these licenses require that you
propagate copyright notices, etc., into any derived product.

You also asked about the name of the product.  Do you have a
preference here?  Something like "Roozz Office Suite Powered by Apache
OpenOffice" is what we normally request for derived products.

But we have had cases where someone wants to repackage OpenOffice,
with install-level changes, but no functional changes.  After
clarifying things related to labeling, support, and other factors
related to user expectations, we were able to give permission to use
the name "Apache OpenOffice".  If you want to explore that possibility
in more detail, let us know.

Regards,

-Rob