incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Call for comments: Webpage for Listing OpenOffice Consultants
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:27:09 GMT
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 26/09/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Draft+--+Apache+OpenOffice+Consultants+Directory
>>
>> I'm working on the XSLT script now.  Looking good so far.
>

> Nice. From what I see, reusing it to rebuild the consultants page in the
> Italian website (the one Roberto was talking about) would require almost no
> changes, right? Then we could use the same technology to revive that page
> too, or actually rebuild it from scratch, since it was already so outdated
> that we had removed the most prominent links to it. The XML schema would
> stay the same (i.e., use English names for elements), translating it would
> be an unnecessary burden.

If we use the sameinput data format then you should be able to use the
same XSLT script.  But then you would need to translate the English
text inside the XSLT.  That is a pain since we're then maintaining two
different scripts.

Two solutions, one technical, one not:

A technical solution could be to put the strings into their own XML
file, so different localized versions could be used.  These would be
strings like column headers, the text of the disclaimer, etc.

Another solution would be to have one master consultant listing, but
add a field to indicate the geographic scope of their business.  So if
a consultant worked only within Italy that could be clear.  Then we
could generate per-geography pages automatically, from that single
input source XML file.

Pardon my ignorance here, but how do consultants tend to work in
Europe?  Are they easily able to offer services through the EU?  Or do
they tend to offer services only within a country?  Or are both
common?

-Rob