incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:05:04 GMT
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12-09-19, at 12:09 , Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> How would you deal with "opacity here as to how these names were
>> suggested"?  These are individual's stated preferences.  Nothing more,
>> nothing less.  Unless we require that everyone give a complete,
>> detailed justification for every name they pick, what can we do?  A
>> wiki certainly doesn't change that.
>

> It depends on how the wiki is set up. For instance, the header of the wiki could state,
as the subject line here does, "Preference/Proposed…." and then go on in one sentence to
explain, "the names proposed derive from the overall committer list (or whatever) and are
those valued by the individual proposer. The final PMC list itself will likely change as the
project evolves and will be composed of those names suggested here." It could then clarify
who is able to propose names and stipulate a deadline.

> Further, it could clarify that in future, a different process operate, and that this
process now is essentially ad hoc to resolve a late-summer slowdown stalemate.

> This page could further clarify what other pages do: the point of the PMC.
>
> In this way, a wiki can provide more than a mail list post.

That is easy enough to set up if you want to.  The posts to date in
this thread could easily be transcribed into such wiki.  This could be
done now, or at the end of Andrew's proposed one week.

Personally I don't have a strong preference for a wiki over the
mailing list.  Maybe it helps tie the loose threads together related
to this topic that a casual observer might not understand.  In any
case, no objections if you want to do this.

-Rob