incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:31:08 GMT
On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Keith N. McKenna
<keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
> Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>
>> Greetings All;
>>
>> In order to stimulate some discussion on user documentation I have added
>> the hollowing page to the User Documentation Plan on the Plannig Wiki:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Guides+Revisted.
>> It offers 3 scenarios or the creation of the docs. I believe that we can
>> no longer put this issue aside.
>>
>> Please take a look at the page and feel free to comment there and on this
>>
>> list. Also feel free to add to or change any content there.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith N. McKenna
>>

> Based on the discussion in this thread and on the wiki page it appears for
> the short term that Scenario 2 is the best way to go. At this point I would
> like to ask for lazy consensus to use ODFAuthors site and the 3.4 documents
> already there to create and publish updated documentation.
> I will leave this open until 2012-09-26 at 05:45 UTC.

This is probably the best choice for now, especially for an
incremental update effort.  It is what I recommended quite a long time
ago to Jean Weber, but that seems to have caused offense at the time.
Hopefully the same idea coming from someone else will be taken more
seriously.

However, if you start any new piece of documentation, not based on an
exiting document,  it would be great if you could include the Apache
License 2.0 on it, in addition to whatever other compatible licenses
you use.  This would maximize the flexibility the project has for
using the documentation in the future.

Regards,

-Rob