incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Taking our own pulse: ZDNet on OpenOffice
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:37:41 GMT
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> This article provides a forward-looking account of opportunities for Apache OpenOffice
work:

> <http://www.zdnet.com/apache-openoffice-libreoffice-aim-for-office-2013-cloud-support-in-13-14-7000004975/>
>
> There is mention of an openoffice.org blog (without any link).  I am not certain what
is being referred to.

Presumably the reference is to our 3.4.1 announce blog post
(https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/announcing_apache_openoffice_3_41)
where we say:

"In parallel with work on the Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 maintenance
release, project members have also been working on changes for the 3.5
release.  Areas of focus for 3.5 include: improved MS Office
interoperability, performance, stability, usability and support of
additional languages.  We are targeting the first quarter of 2013 for
Apache OpenOffice 3.5.0.

A major update, Apache OpenOffice 4.0, will follow, including
additional features and improvements merged in from the the IBM Lotus
Symphony code recently contributed to Apache.  There is also
opportunity in this release to think "outside of the box" and bring
additional innovation.

As a project we are starting to brainstorm about what could be
possible in Apache OpenOffice 4.0.  We invite OpenOffice users,
community members and other interested parties to join us in this
process, to help make version 4.0 the kind of radical success that
version 1.0 was over a decade ago.  We're using Google Moderator to
collect and rate ideas.   Please join us and share your ideas."

Regards,

-Rob