incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:56:12 GMT
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> As we perform the final preparations to release Apache OpenOffice
> 3.4.1 it is a good time to look ahead to the future.  A big
> opportunity is OpenOffice 4.0.  That once seemed so very far away, but
> 2013 is getting closer every day.   Will it be a large collection of
> small ideas?  Will it have a major overarching theme?  Or will it just
> be whatever random stuff we happen to have on a given date when we
> release 4.0?   The answer, of course, depends on what we, as project
> members/volunteers decide to do.   It is a good time now, as a
> background activity, to poll the community and wider ecosystem on
> ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0.
>
> To participate, go to this page on Google Moderator, where you can
> help us gather and rate ideas:
> https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5
>
> A few project members have already "seeded" this with some initial
> ideas. Of course, you are encouraged to add your own ideas, as well as
> rate the ideas of others.   Try not to censor yourself from thinking
> outside-of-the-box.  We need big ideas as well as incremental ones.
>
> We don't have a close date on this brainstorming activity, but it is
> good to get your ideas in early, so there is an opportunity for others
> to rate and comment on it.

This brainstorming has been ongoing for 3 weeks now.  So far, so good.
 The latest stats are:

533 people have submitted 456 ideas and cast 6,491 votes

If you have not reviewed the new ideas recently, it would be worth
taking another look.  It is good that all ideas are rated, not just
the ones that came in early.

Maybe let it run to the end of September and then we can snapshot it
and start analyzing the results?  Or mid October?  It would be good to
wrap this up in advance of ApacheCon, so we can discuss further there.

Regards,

-Rob