incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:27:04 GMT
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> As we perform the final preparations to release Apache OpenOffice
>> 3.4.1 it is a good time to look ahead to the future.  A big
>> opportunity is OpenOffice 4.0.  That once seemed so very far away, but
>> 2013 is getting closer every day.   Will it be a large collection of
>> small ideas?  Will it have a major overarching theme?  Or will it just
>> be whatever random stuff we happen to have on a given date when we
>> release 4.0?   The answer, of course, depends on what we, as project
>> members/volunteers decide to do.   It is a good time now, as a
>> background activity, to poll the community and wider ecosystem on
>> ideas for Apache OpenOffice 4.0.
>>
>> To participate, go to this page on Google Moderator, where you can
>> help us gather and rate ideas:
>> https://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2011d5
>>
>> A few project members have already "seeded" this with some initial
>> ideas. Of course, you are encouraged to add your own ideas, as well as
>> rate the ideas of others.   Try not to censor yourself from thinking
>> outside-of-the-box.  We need big ideas as well as incremental ones.
>>
>> We don't have a close date on this brainstorming activity, but it is
>> good to get your ideas in early, so there is an opportunity for others
>> to rate and comment on it.
>>

> This brainstorming has been ongoing for 3 weeks now.  So far, so good.
>  The latest stats are:
>
> 533 people have submitted 456 ideas and cast 6,491 votes

Today, a week later:  633 users - 527 ideas - 7,607 votes

So we are still getting a good amount of feedback.  I added a mention
of this brainstorming on the www.openoffice.org website header.  That
should give this even more visibility.

I've heard from some that it would be good to get to a point where we
can take a "snapshot" of the feedback received, and process that, to
help set priorities for AOO 4.0.

Would it make sense to do that in another week, say on October 1st?

At that point we can:

1) Put a "thank you" note on the Google Moderator page and stop
accepting new suggestions.  Point the users to the ooo-users or
ooo-dev mailing list instead,

2) Export the ideas and scores received so far to a CSV file and
archive that someplace.

3) Discuss the results received

4) Maybe a blog post to highlight the brainstorming activity and the
results received?

Any other ideas?

I don't need to own any of this, but since I started it I'm willing to
finish it.  But if anyone else wants to take a lead on this, please
volunteer.

Regards,

-Rob