incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:16:56 GMT
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm organising the Open clipart library into categories. We could use
> this then as a useful resource to complement AOO. Any thoughts about
> the best way to implement making the categorised library available to
> the community?

Taxonomies are limiting, especially if a given clipart can live in
only one place.  Tagging is more flexible.  And searching is even more
so.

I noticed they have a REST API for searching OCAL, which is based on
text queries, e.g.:

http://openclipart.org/api/search/?query=trombone&page=1

So one option might be to have a smaller, curated set of
top-quality/most-commonly-used clipart pre-included in the install,
but then also have an in-product interface for searching the complete
online collection.  Could also allow searching of other public domain
image sources, including Flickr Common, Wikipedia, etc.

-Rob