incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] 3.5, 4.0, fixpack, milestone build...
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:15:01 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Keith N. McKenna
<keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>> features...). If we make good progress on those items at the same time,
>>> we
>>> may consider to skip 3.5.
>>> (3) There are also more requirements (e.g. fixpack mechanism, simplifying
>>> the build structure, OOMXL export, smartArt...) we need  to put into our
>>> backlog and consider their priority.
>>>
>>>    Even we don't need to discuss the solid plan now, but there are
>>> already a
>>> lot of development activities on the trunk. So I think we need to keep
>>> certain track on it. Though it may be too early to set a target date for
>>> the next release, but it is important for us to tell more about what we
>>> think the next release should contain.
>>>
>>>    So I'm suggesting the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Keep updating the current release planning wiki:
>>>       -
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.5+Release+Planning
>>>       -
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Release+Planning
>>>     I know it is a little confusing for 2 places to input. But think
>>> about
>>> the scope we agreed above. You can input to the wiki that you think your
>>> work belong to. I personally will monitor both wiki pages.
>>>
>>> 2. Figure out a better way to manage our release backlog. e.g. set Target
>>> Milestone to 3.5 or 4.0 in Bugzilla for what we recommended.
>>>
>>> 3. Deliver milestone builds to harvest our development fruits. A
>>> milestone
>>> build is:
>>>       (a) a development snapshot that contains the features/enhancements
>>> that implemented till now;
>>>       (b) passed regression test to ensure no severe defects;
>>>       (c) announced on a development wiki;
>>>       (d) with documents on the wiki for the list of features and bug
>>> fixes
>>> in this milestone build (like a release notes).
>>>     Since whatever 3.5 or 4.0 sounds to me like some thing in next year
>>> or
>>> at least close to the end of this year, milestone builds can be light
>>> weigh
>>> on process to show our development progress, and give people a more clear
>>> view on how far are we to the next release.
>>>
>>>    Looking forward every one's comments!
>>>

>> Maybe also start a "release notes" page on the wiki.  Whenever a new
>> feature or important bug fix is added to the trunk also add something
>> to the release notes.   If something can be show with a "before and
>> after" screen shot, include that.  This might be easier than waiting
>> until the end to prepare the release notes.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>>> - Simon
>>

> Rob;
>
> A Release Notes page already exists or 3.5 and one or 4.0 can be easily
> added. The complication I see here is since we have not decided whether the
> next release will be 3.5 or 4.0 that would require adding it in two places.
> I see that as a lot of overhead at this point.

IMHO, the name is not so important.  Everything in the trunk goes into
the next release.  Nothing not in the trunk goes into the next
release.  So if we want a wiki page that is called "Release notes for
AOO Target January 2013" then it would be sufficient.  Just describe
significant changes there made in the trunk.  Maybe in the end we call
it "Apache OpenOffice 2013", or "Apache OpenOffice Adventitious
Armadillo" or something like that.  That decision can come later.

-Rob