incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: News article integration with home page
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:12:25 GMT
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this feedback Rob...good observations to say the least...see inline
>>
>> On 09/27/2012 05:57 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> Kay has started a page on the wiki to list possible areas where we can
>>> improve the website:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30737243
>>>
>>> One of the ideas concerned the little news stories that we put on the home page.
>>>
>>> Since I think I'm the only one that has been maintaining this part of
>>> the website, let me explain how it works today, and why that sucks.
>>>
>>> When it comes time to add a new story I do the following:
>>>
>>> 1) Edit the home page via the CMS
>>>
>>> 1a) Add a new story at the top
>>> 1b) Remove the oldest story from the bottom and move it to another
>>> file, news/index.html
>>>
>>> (This is especially annoying because 1a and 1b are structured
>>> differently, so it is not a simple cut & paste)
>>
>> I had explored recently the idea of just putting ALL the news items on news/index.html
and then just dumping that via ssi into that right column with some appropriate formatting
-- the css equivalent of frames. Infra didn't seem too jazzed about enabling ssi for the site
although I see it's used to a certain extent in our headers (???). This would save us the
duplicate editing, moving etc.

> Infra actually suggested that we start doing ssi to avoid "seldgehammer changes". SSI
is how we do branding, headers, footers and the topnav. All of it is SSI. We should do it
for news. It will take slightly special efforts to keep that part from being wrapped. That
will need to be in ooo-site/trunk/lib/path.pm - take a look.

What makes this different from our other SSI uses is we need to limit
the number of articles displayed.   We want to avoid having an
open-ended list of articles appear on the home page, since that would
just length the page and put the important footer info far down.  It
would be ugly as well.  So ideally we want some logic that puts the 5
or so most recent stories on the home page, and then puts the full
list of articles on the dedicated news page.  Or maybe even does
something fancier, like group articles by month or year on the news
page.  But minimum requirement is probably to be able to limit number
of articles on home page.

Is this something that is easy/possible to do with the way we're using the CMS?

-Rob